Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Dreaded conversation

To many of you this will not seem like a big deal. To me, it has honestly caused me much grief, at times in my life... I know some of you will think this is so silly... here goes... in the van today...

David: Grandma let me nap with a kitty today. Not a real one though.

Me: Oh, that was kind of grandma.

David: Why don't you like kitties? Why didn't you touch Lincoln? (Lincoln is Judy Rachke's dog and came to play with my kids at my mom's house today.)

Me: I am allergic to them and they make me sneeze and it is hard to breathe.

David: I am not allergic to them. I am not allergic to dogs and horses. I want a kitty one day. We can get a kitty one day, when I get bigger.

Me: Honey, I am sorry, but we can never have a kitty, or puppy, or horsey one day. Mommy can't breathe when they are around.

David: Then you need to move to another house.

Me: (seriously in tears) But then I couldn't give you hugs and kisses and tell you I love you all the time.

David: Ok, but when I am a daddy I want to get a puppy.

I think it is because animals have brought me such physical pain (for ex. went to horse camp and find out I was allergic to horses - couldn't breathe at all) and also emotional pain (having my siblings hate me cause I was the reason they couldn't have a dog), that I lost it when he told me to move out! I am so thankful Phillip does not have a love for dogs or cats. I am praying already this won't be a source of sadness for my children, but they both really do seem to LOVE ANIMALS!

7 comments:

Miss Mommy said...

Oh, Andrea- that is not silly. I am sorry. Your kids will not hate you! They just need to make friends with people with pets and go over there w/o you!

Shadley said...

Oh Andrea, remember when you and Phil babysat for us and our cat was the cause of some of your physical pain??? I feel so bad about that! Don't feel guilty, sweetie! I won't let Eden have a dog and she LOVES them and I don't have any good reason!

Jill Pennington said...

Abbie wants a kitty really badly. I told her that she could have a kitty or a mommy. She told me that she would rather have a kitty. So you're not alone!

Derricca said...

I'm sorry Andrea! That isn't silly at all. I have asthma too, and have had some scary moments. I have 4 inhalers. ;) He will understand someday, don't be too hard on yourself! :) We love you!

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's not silly at all! I can't imagine what it would be like to be allergic to animals and I'm sorry it's such a source of pain for you. Take heart though, I have a friend who's made it clear to her kids they can't have pets, with the exception of lizards/fish and the kids have become okay with it over time.

And if David or Elizabeth ever need a dog fix, send them to my place!

Keri Speidel said...

Just think, you'll never have to clean up dog hair, cat pee or horse poo....ever. That is what friends are for :)

Brenda Rae said...

ahh I completely understand - Jason is in your same boat and we can't have them either. So far they have understood.