Monday, June 30, 2008

Potty Training continued

Today was a pretty good day for David. He went in the potty 4 or so times and even went poop once. However, he immediately had a wet after he went poop because he was too scared to go in the potty that had the poop in it. As I was quickly trying to wash out the poop, David wet his underwear. Next time I will make sure he does both before getting up, but he seriously was scared and wanted to get off the potty and wanted it cleaned immediately. I think he only had two accidents so that was good. We did use a diaper at nap and put one back on for bedtime too. The naked strategy worked best for him. As long as he had underwear on he didn't mind getting it wet and then telling me he wanted a new one right away. But as long as he was naked we didn't have any accidents. Since I am sure I can't take him naked everywhere we still have a lot of training to do, but I am pleased so far! Thank you Jesus for your grace and teaching me patience in all of this! Thank you friends and family for sharing advice and experiences. I know this will be a difficult process and I am praying constantly for patience, but I know it will be so rewarding in the end! Phillip is the best at this training stuff! He is sooo patient and willing to sit with David and read him books and talk to him while on the pot and I just get so anxious and impatient. I am learning from him!

3 comments:

Shadley said...

Just relax, he'll be fine!! My dad always says, "Ever seen a college student in diapers?" :)

Jen Essington said...

Hi Andrea!
I ran into your blog through Emily's :)
I totally agree with the "college student in diapers" thing...I kept repeating that to myself all through potty training. I heard a doctor once say that you can't really have too much control over what goes in and what comes out of a child's body...haha!...I think of that often as well.
Sounds like potty training is going really well...pooping is a great accomplishment!

Jill Pennington said...

I am jealous. I think that I will drop Abbie off at your house for some more training! I think at this point she knows exactly what to do, but the novelty has worn off and she would much rather play than sit in the bathroom! :) My mom always tells me about how the kindergarteners are all potty trained when they start school so not to worry. Seriously though...there is always a first. And gosh darn it, if my daughter doesn't take after me, she is stubborn as all get out! :)